Thursday, June 5, 2014

It All Began With The Seven and Seven

I gave a speech entitled "The Seven and Seven - the Seven Deadly Sins and the Seven Virtues."  It was so well received, that I decided to turn it into a blog, and continue to write about my understanding of how religious "sins," as defined so long ago, might be relevant to today's mores. Thus began this blog. Not content to discuss my views in blog format, I proceeded to write a book by the same name, leaving blog entries to the occasional random musings that might inspire me in my daily life.

There are those readers who might wonder about me: What gives me any authority to write on ethics; indeed, am I an ethical person at all?

The answer may not satisfy everyone, of course.  Morals and ethics are hardly static, as viewed throughout history. There are, to be sure, some fundamental, immutable values that seem to apply to everyone, in almost every culture; values that foster community and harmony.  But one does not need to be a person of the cloth to feel, and then to write about important elements among people.

There are those that might cynically complain that I am a hypocrite; that my own life experiences are no example of upstanding virtue.  Yet, wouldn't a flawed life be at the very basis of what is good and precious and worthy to be pursued?

No comments:

Post a Comment